Thursday, February 25, 2016

Volunteering at the AEA

Over the past couple months, I have been volunteering at the Iowa Area Education Agency installation near my school. It's been an interesting experience, a blend of volunteering and job shadowing.

The task was to aid in the continued construction of their deployment systems. Deployment is, in essence, the process of taking a completely blank computer and installing an OS and programs on it over the network with a minimum of human assistance. The AEA already had a very nice system in place with the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, organized based on the makes and models of the target systems. I brought in my school's laptops so that the AEA could add appropriate configuration to their library and so that my school could benefit from the setup.

We ran into several challenges, most of which stemmed from the fact that the first laptop I brought had a bad hard drive. I did get to learn a lot about MDT troubleshooting and driver registration because of that, though. We'll next be moving on to Office installation; we've already made some progress on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment