Saturday, May 14, 2016

Chinatown trip 2016

Today I went up to Chicago's Chinatown with the rest of my Chinese class, plus a few people who used to be in the class and one other student who is Chinese.

Upon arrival, we walked around the zone for a bit to get our bearings. We then went into the Phoenix Restaurant for dim sum. Previously, each person on the trip had given the guide a menu with the desired items checked. One student had checked everything that she thought looked good, and so we ended up ordering a huge amount of dishes. There was a constant stream of new things being delivered to the table as we ate. We did manage to eat almost all of it, and the guide only took home two or three small Styrofoam boxes of food.

After that, we went around town, looking into stores. I only bought a small bag of White Rabbit candies, which are delicious. We then visited a museum that had information about Chinatown's history and culture, including a brief film about it.

Finally, we went to Joy Yee for tea. I got a coconut milk tea with tapioca, which was delicious.

I didn't get to speak all that much Chinese, but I did hear some and understood a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment